Followers

Sunday, March 11, 2012

Week 4 - Jason gets the job!!!!





We had a life changing amazing week! Jason got offered and accepted a wonderful job with a high-end safari company. His official title is Pilot and Flight operations manager. This is an up and coming company and Jason will be helping to establish it and help with all the licensing and paper work the month of April then he will be the first officer in C-208, Grand caravan. This is the perfect opportunity for Jason and he will have so many opportunities to grow with the company. He signs his 2 year contract on April 1, but the owners have already discussed there interest in working with him for many more years. This gives us the opportunity to live a nice life in Africa for many years to come.


This is the Cessna 208, the plane that Jason will be flying.


I also started working at Cradle of Love this week. I absolutely love it! The only thing that I don't love about it is that it takes about an hour to get to and I have to take 2 dalla dallas (mini buses) and walk about 1 km between them. It's fine right now but I am not looking forward to the walk in the rainy season, which starts in 2 weeks. Jason has been nice enough to take me on the motorcycle to the last dalla dalla stand when it is not muddy. I am currently working Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 9-12 but once Jason starts his job I will probably just work every day. I start the day by holding babies in the nursery, teaching the older kids, then playing with everyone outside. We have 15 babies under the age of 6 months at the orphanage right now. There are so many babies that are abandoned in and around town that we have taken in 5 in the last week. The government will search for relatives of the abandoned child for 3 months and if they do not find any the baby is placed up for adoption. Many of the babies do have families but unfortunately they are unable to take care of them. A lot of the mothers died in child birth and the family can simply not afford formula so the babies go to live at the orphanage until the families can take care of them. This usually happens by the age of 2. If the families cannot take them home then they will go on to older orphanages in town. Right now we have 54 children but next week 9 of the older kids will go to live in the older orphanages. Unfortunately, all the children in my current class are leaving. I am already very attached to them and will miss them very much.

This is Ibraheim, he is a favorite baby of mine and I try to hold him everyday.

I love Lily!

This is Happy, she is one of the children that will be leaving. She is my super sweet helper!

I love Lily!:)

I can't remember this little chunks name right now, but he is always a happy baby!

Playing in the yard.

This is my Sassy girl Clara. All of the children have sad stories but Clara's is especially painful. She was rescued when her mother tried to sell her and her brother for human sacrifice.

This is Rahema. She was the first baby to come waddling up to me with her hands in the air and a smile on her face! When I went to Cradle for my first visit I held her the entire time. She is so cuddly! She is one of the lucky ones. Her father comes to visit her and will be taking her home in July.

Sweet baby Jessica!


What an amazing week! We are so happy to be in Africa and doing what we love. This is why we came here and loving every second!

4 comments:

  1. Those babies look beautiful :) it's so awesome how you are making an impact on their lives. How is taking the buses by yourself? Is it pretty safe? Super high five to Jason for getting a pilot job!!! very cool you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Aubs! So excited for both of you! Dad and Janet are having problems commenting on your blog so I'm sending love from everyone!!! Really enjoying your blog updates! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i cant get past the human sacrifice..... awesome for jason though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, i'm so thrilled for you guys! you're both in my thoughts and i hope things keep going well! love ya

    ReplyDelete