Followers

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Week 3 - We have visitors!!

This week wasn't very exciting but we were happy to have some visitors. I will be starting tomorrow, Monday, at Cradle of Love. I am really excited to work with the kids and will take lots of pictures for next weeks blog!
This pictures are in reverse order of the actual events.

We were so excited when we got a text from George and Melissa on Sunday asking if they could stay with us this week! We met George and Melissa at the hostel we were staying at in Dar. They just finished climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro and want to catch a safari out of Arusha. This picture was taken after more than 24 hours without electricity. We moved outside to play some card games. Melissa and I dominated, of course!
Fixing a midnight snack. We were pretty excited that we actually stayed up until midnight!
George and Melissas first night. We made pot roast and they brought some South African wine. It was delicious!
Eating rice and beans at the outside table.
Kitty attacks!
Jason messes with passed out kitty
Kitty passed out in the heat
New addition to the family, 8 chicks!

Jason and Alex playing in the yard
Ginger just waiting to have those kids!
Starbucks coffee thanks to Jesse and Lisa

Now thats a tasty chicken!
Flipping the chicken

Poking the chicken

Jason starting the fire from a safe distance
We made a grill!
I put onions, garlic and butter under the skin then rubbed the outside with butter and chicken masala seasoning.

Our view of Mt. Meru
Its only the start of the rainy season and our roads are already almost impassable. The best part is that all the bushes on the sides of the road are thorn bushes so when passing you are trying not to get stabbed or fall in the puddle. I had three local boys standing in the middle of the puddle giggling while I tried not to fall in. We will definitely need rain boots and rain pants if we plan on going anywhere for the next 2 months. George suggested we get some waiters aka water proof overalls. Its probably for the best!

We had another great week in Tanzania, but next week if it back to the business. I will start teaching at Cradle of Love and Jason will be frequenting the airport. He plans on going to Dar at the end of the week to take his tests. I hope George and Melissa stick around so I won't be by myself but I'm sure they hope they will be on safari by then. George has contacts with a local NGO that specializes in basic medical care for the locals. I will probably try to visit this week to see if its anything that I can help with. Hope all is well at home!
Lots of Love,
Aubree and Jason

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting, Aubs! Fun to see where you're at and all you're experiencing. I will read and send my love!

    Uncle Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome Aubree! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love your grill! It's awesome that you guys had your first houseguests :D oh and i wanna hug that kitty cat.

    ReplyDelete